Thursday, March 12, 2009

Stay or Leave

Stay or Leave by Dave Matthews


On a cold day in the middle of March, this song fits the mood. And I haven't broken up with anyone.

Since I'm not in a melancholy mood, where do break up songs fit into day-to-day life? I guess we can be taken back to past loves, but dwelling on past lovers isn't something I would guess most of us do unless something strikes us. A location, a picture, a song, a TV show... to bring back the memory. But just a random break up song? Nah. It doesn't flood my mind with images of the woman I've dated.

Of course that's me. That doesn't apply to everyone (I assume). So what happens to break up songs when we haven't broken up with someone? Do we keep them in the back of our mind and forget about them entirely? Or are they like a potato peeler... something you take out only when you need them.

I honestly don't know. I listen to "Last Goodbye" a lot more when I'm in the process of or just have broken up with someone. Does that mean at some point in my married life I'll never listen to "Last Goodbye" again? Will I just skip it? Or will I let it take my mind to the girl it associates at that moment?

No comments: